ADHD is attention deficit hyperactive disorder which mostly affects children and teens and it can go up to adulthood. It’s a chronic disease and affects the brain. It makes a child to lack balance and ability to control impulses.
Paying attention becomes a problem if a child is suffering from ADHD and this condition can be seen in any place, home, school and even in friendship.
This condition is very common in boys than in girls.
Treatment can help if a child has this disease, but ADHD can’t be cured but it can just be controlled. It only requires medical diagnosis but lab tests and imaging are discouraged.
CAUSES OF ADHD
The actual causes of ADHD are not known according to medical experts. According to several tests and studies, there are several factors that have been established as potent triggers of ADHD.
The causes of ADHD (triggers) include;
- Hereditary and genes – This has been established as one of the posssible causes of ADHD. They argue that there are very high chances of this disorder being hereditary meaning for every suffering child, there is a very high likelihood there was a family member who has or had ADHD. It basically runs in the family genes.
- Frequent brain injuries – getting injured on the brain frequently or having other brain disorders can lead to this problem. This is also well tested and it happens in a larger percentage of people and children.
- Poor parental lifestyles during pregnancy – This is also very common among the causes of ADHD in children. A child can be born with ADHD if the parent had poor nutrition during pregnancy or was an alcoholic, chain smoker, had an infection such as gonorrhea and other STIs or even was a chain smoker. This is the reason why pregnant mothers are always advised to practice healthy habits within the 9 months in order not to damage the health of the unborn.
- Premature birth – ADHD is very common in children who are born prematurely. Premature birth can occur because of different reasons, including but not limited to stress and infections. This increases the chances of a child suffering from this disease.
Those four are the main tested predisposing factors that can easily trigger ADHD. Other myths like sugar consumption, too much-watching TV, poor diet in children and poor school life plus many other street myths have not been tested and they don’t cause ADHD.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF ADHD
Symptoms of ADHD are divided into those that appear in children and adults. These symptoms are just simple and you need to pay good attention to them. If you identify any of them occurring in any family member, you must contact the doctor as soon as possible.
SYMPTOMS IN CHILDREN
Symptoms of ADHD in children are grouped into three categories, inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity.
- Getting easily bored
- Talking too much
- Always moving, wants to climb on something or jump every time without meaning to do it
- Easily distracted
- Have trouble following directions effectively or finishing tasks
- Doesn’t pay attention and easily makes careless mistakes
- Forgets easily
- Has a problem organizing tasks
- Hates doing things while sitting still
- Loses things often
- Acts too quickly before thinking
- Interrupts frequently
- Do things without asking for permission
- Act too risky
- Can push or even grab without waiting
Symptoms in adults
The symptoms of ADHD in adults include;
- Chronic lateness/trouble managing time
- Hot-tempered always
- Low self-esteem
- Poor planning
- ADHD causes impulsiveness
- Frequent mood swings
- Problems in completing tasks
- Can’t cope up with stress easily
- Substance abuse and addiction
- Trouble in relationships
TREATMENT METHODS OF ADHD
As said earlier, this disease cannot be treated but it can be managed. There are several ways of managing or “treating” ADHD.
Treatment methods of ADHD include;
- Offering medical advice
This is most common among all the other methods of treatment of ADHD.
A person suffering from ADHD can be offered medication using stimulant or non-stimulant products. Before any type of medication, you must first talk to your doctor to know if you are eligible to participate in any of the two types of medication and its effects. The common medical treatment for ADHD include;
- Stimulant medications that are commonly used are methylphenidate and amphetamine. The importance of this medication is that it boosts and balances levels of brain chemicals like neurotransmitters
- Non-stimulant medications mostly used are atomoxetine but they work slower than stimulants. This is a perfect choice though if you cannot take stimulants.
#2 Psychological therapy
People suffering from this disorder can be educated about the disease and made to understand that they are just like other people. This will improve their self-esteem. The importance of psychotherapy as among the methods of treatment of ADHD patients include;
- Improving time management and organizational skills
- Reducing impulsive behavior
- Developing perfect ways of controlling temper
- Improving self-esteem
- Learn how to build healthy relationships
- Learn how to control temper
- Understand how to undertake problem-solving
#3 Medical device
There is a device that has recently been approved by the FDA and it is recommended for children between the age of 7 – 12 years. The device is worn at night and it sends light impulses to the part of the brain that is believed to cause ADHD .
READ MORE HERE
- ALS DISEASE – CAUSES, SYMPTOMS, TREATMENT
- ENDOMETRIOSIS – CAUSES,EFFECTS,TREATMENT
- PELVIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE
- IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME
- DEPRESSION – CAUSES,SYMPTOMS,TREATMENT
ADHD is chronic and not a good disease as it cannot be treated but just managed. People should take caution and practice healthy lifestyles especially when pregnant.
Whenever you identify one or two signs associated with ADHD in any family member, don’t hesitate to notify the doctor for more instructions on how to go about with it. This disorder can end naturally when a child reaches a certain age but there is no guarantee for this. Basically, the parents are the ones who are the first people to care for their children by making sure they don’t get into any risk factors that can cause this disease.