The Dr. Sebi diet is basically a vegetable-based, fruits, whole grains, and healthy fats.
This food increases the body’s alkaline levels and Dr. Sebi developed it in order to reduce the effects of some diseases but this diet still needs more review.
All the claims being made by this diet still need a scientific review to establish its authenticity.
This plant-based diet eliminates some nutrients thus it can pose a greater risk to the health of an individual.
Dr. Sebi also said that for full results, the person should follow this procedure it throughout their life.
Do you know who Dr. Sebi is?
Dr, Sebi’s real name was Alfredo Bowman. He was a great herbalist and self-proclaimed healer but had no Ph.D. He claimed to cure leukemia and HIV. All this led to the court ordering his organization to stop making such claims. He died in 2016 while in jail.
Is Dr.Sebi’s diet important?
This diet has no real scientific backing but the inventors believe it can help in several body-related functions.
Though a vegan diet has several health-based benefits the authenticity of the Sebi diet has not been determined.
Some of the possible but untested benefits of Dr.Sebi diet can include;
- Reducing inflammation – foods rich in fruits and vegetables have been linked to being able to reduce the incidences of inflammation.(1, 2READ MORE)
- Can help in reducing incidences of cancer and heart diseases – According to studies carried out, it has been found out that people who added vegetables to their diet reduced incidences of cancer and heart diseases by 25% – 30%. Dr. Sebi diet also advises high fiber food consumption and this has been linked to a reduction in heart-related diseases(MR)
- Diets limiting the consumption of ultra-processed foods are also linked to overall better diet quality(MR)
Rules of Dr. Sebi diet
Dr, Sebi’s diet is very strict and has some rules that you must follow. All the rules are usually stated on his website.
The rules include;
- Consume foods listed in the nutritional guide only
- You must drink 1 gallon of natural water on a daily basis
- Dr. Sebi’s supplements should be taken one hour before the actual medication
- Animal product consumption is highly prohibited, with no exception.
- Alcohol is prohibited
- Only consume natural growing grains listed in the guide and avoid wheat products.
- Using a microwave is highly prohibited
- Canned and seedless fruits should be avoided fully.
Foods allowed in the Dr. Sebi diet
- Oils such as olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, and hempseed oil
- Vegetables such as mushrooms, onions, okra, zucchini, Bell Peppers, asparagus, tomato, squash, kale, lettuce, and amaranth greens
- Spices and seasoning include onion powder, thyme, oregano, basil, cayenne, cloves, pure sea salt, sage, dill, and habanero.
- Fruits include prunes, prickly bears, berries, oranges, bananas, figs, limes, mango, apples, oranges, berries, cantaloupe, cherries, tamarinds, papayas, peaches, plums, and cactus fruits.
- Nuts and seeds to consume include walnuts, brazil nuts, raw sesame seeds, and hemp seed.
Foods to avoid
Dr. Sebi recommends you avoid the following foods;
- White sugar
- Processed foods
- Any other food not listed in the diet plan
Can this diet contribute to weight loss?
According to the structure of the Dr. Sebi diet plan, there is a very high likelihood that it can help in weight loss. Below are the reasons why;
- This diet discourages the consumption of processed foods. Processed foods usually contain high levels of salt, sugar, calories and fat. These components can lead to an increase in weight and not including them in the diet like Dr. Sebi recommends can help in weight loss.(MR)
- It promotes a plant-based diet. People who follow plant-based diets have been seen to have a higher resistance to obesity and heart diseases.(MR)
- A recent study has found that people who followed an unlimited whole-food, low-fat and plant-based diet lose more weight than those who didn’t follow that diet procedure. This is the actual procedure the Dr. Sebi diet has.(MR)
DISCLAIMER: Dr. Sebi’s diet is not designed for weight loss and no real scientific study has backed it, however, you may lose some weight if you follow it.