High protein foods are common in our local groceries but some are not well known to people as high protein sources. High protein consumption is essential for those who want to boost their daily protein consumption for several reasons.
Proteins are very essential for several body functions such as;
- Building and repairing body tissues
- They play a role in metabolic reactions
- They boost the production of certain bodily hormones
- They also play a role in protecting the body by detecting and killing harmful organisms in the body.
The maximum daily protein consumption is recommended to be 0.8 grams for every kilogram of body weight or 0.36 grams per pound. This means if you have 100kg then your daily protein consumption should be 80g.
HIGH PROTEIN FOODS ARE;
Tuna is a saltwater fish. There are several types of tuna fish but the commonly known types are four; bluefin, yellowfin, skipjack, and albacore
It is rich in high protein content and very low in fats. It also contains healthy omega 3-fatty acids.
Tuna is a high protein food and due to this, it can help in weight loss if a person is in a controlled low carb diet.
Protein content: 100 grams of canned tuna fish contains approximately 24 grams of proteins.
Jerky is meat that has been cut into strips, then cooked and after cooking it is dehydrated to reduce spoilage and increase its shelf life.
It’s one of the high protein foods that can be perfect for your diet.
Jerky is always too expensive in the market because it is stated that the process of making it takes in way too much meat than expected due to the dehydration procedure. Dehydration reduces water content and then the space that has been left is filled with meat again.
Protein content: One cup of Jerky contains 30 grams of proteins. This is way too high and fulfilling for your protein requirement.
Amaranth is another magical high protein food contain all the essential amino acids.
The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned it in the US since 1976 due to claims that it was a carcinogen. It is still widely consumed in different countries including the United Kingdom.
1 cup of Amaranth contains approximately 26 grams of proteins.
In every 100 grams of Amaranth, there are 14 grams of protein.
Halibut is a flatfish and one of its types, the Atlantic halibut has been cited to be the largest flatfish in the world.
It has high proteins and also contains higher potassium content than tuna. They are classified as one of the fish which contain high potassium content.
Protein content: one serving of halibut provides approximately 42 grams of proteins.
100 grams of well-cooked halibut has 2.5 grams of proteins.
Lentils are legumes and they are packed with iron, folate, potassium, and proteins.
Some studies state that consuming lentils can help reduce the risks of heart diseases.
1 cup of dried lentils makes approximately 2 ½ cups when cooked.
Protein content: You should not ignore lentils in your high protein foods diet as only 100 grams of them are packed with 9 grams of proteins and 1 cup of lentils has 18 grams of proteins. All this is way too high to meet your daily protein requirement.
Chicken is one of the most common high protein food and raising them takes little time and resources compared to cattle.
You can cook your chicken by grilling, stir-frying, pan-frying and roasting. You can basically eat chicken breasts, legs, and even wings. The chicken breast is the best to eat as it contains slightly low cholesterol than the legs and wings.
This food is very common worldwide and researchers have also investigated that its consumption has been growing rapidly high at approximately 4.7% every year since 2010.
- 100 grams of chicken has approximately 27 grams of proteins
- 1 cup of chopped or diced and well-cooked chicken will provide 38 grams of proteins
- Consuming ½ chicken with the bone removed will provide you probably with 82 grams of proteins. This will be too much for your body so please go for smaller portions.
Pork tenderloin is a slice of long and narrow meat cut from the larger loin muscle of pork meat.
You can comfortably enjoy this pork meat with Roasted Brussels sprouts, Fig and kale salad, Potato gratin or Quinoa salad.
The recommended cooking temperature for pork tenderloin is between 140 – 160 degrees Celsius.
- 100 grams of cooked pork tenderloin contains a high protein content of approximately 26 grams.
- 1 piece of cooked pork tenderloin with refuse excluded will supply 87 grams of protein. This is a crazy high so please eat in small amounts.
Tempeh is a soy product that is fermented and made into cake form.
It was a traditional Indonesian staple food. It is also one of the high protein foods being consumed by people worldwide.
This food has several health benefits and it contains prebiotics, vitamins, minerals, and proteins.
- 100 grams of tempeh contains a whopping 19 grams of proteins.
- 1 cup of tempeh will provide around 31 grams of proteins.
Tilapia is a freshwater fish that is rich in proteins and low in fat and it is one of the world’s highly farmed fish.
When well cooked you can enjoy tilapia with quinoa, potatoes, pasta or steamed vegetables.
Protein content: 1 fillet of well-cooked tilapia has approximately 23 grams of proteins while for every 100 grams of tilapia you will get 26 grams of proteins.
Hemp is a Cannabis Sativa species-rich in fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and proteins.
It is used in the making of industrial food products.
Hemp was banned across the United States markets after the passing of the Marihuana Tax Act in 1937.
Protein content: 100 grams of hemp seeds powder contains approximately 49 grams of proteins while 1 cup contains 60 grams of proteins. This is extremely high protein content food.
Beef, specifically, grass-fed beef contains high protein. It is also rich in other nutrients.
Beef can be roasted or boiled before consuming. You can much it comfortably with smashed cucumbers, roasted sweet potatoes, grilled parmesan broccoli or broccoli salad.
- 100 grams of ground beef contains 26 grams of proteins.
- Expect to get 22 grams of proteins from one serving of beef (one serving is approximate 3 oz. or 85 grams of beef)
Seitan is a product of wheat that is why it is sometimes referred to as wheat gluten.
It is a perfect meat substitute for vegetarians and vegans.
It is usually sold in tins or jars already marinated or cooked and thus ready to eat.
Protein content: 100 grams of seitan contains a protein high of 75 grams. This makes us never doubt that it is actually one of the high protein foods for your diet.
Turkey is a bird species that is native to America.
Some people claim that the best way to cook a turkey is by thawing an already frozen bird, stuffing it, and then roasting it.
After preparing your turkey you can now enjoy it with your hot ham and cheese sandwiches or hummus veggie sandwich.
- 100 grams of whole, roasted turkey has 29 grams of protein.
- 1 whole turkey bird can provide an extremely high protein of approximately 1088 grams. This can feed several families.
Cottage cheese is a cuddled fresh cheese product with a milk flavor. It is also one of the best high protein foods for those who want to boost their protein intake.
You can easily eat them with melon chunks, strawberries, blueberries, sliced bananas or crushed pineapples.
- 1 cup of creamed, small curd cottage cheese contains 25 grams of protein while a large curd cup contains 23 grams.
- 100 grams of cottage cheese has 11 grams of proteins.
Peanut butter is made by grounding, dry-roasted peanuts to make a food paste.
To enjoy your peanut butter, you can drizzle it in popcorns, blend in hummus or even mix it in Greek yogurt.
- 1 cup of peanut butter contains a high protein content of 65 grams. Actually, you can’t consume all this in one day for health purposes.
- 100 grams of it has 25 grams of proteins packed. This still high protein content compared to the required daily consumption.
- 2 tablespoonfuls of peanut butter have a total of 8 grams of proteins. At least you can add this then the remaining gap of protein content can be filled by other foods too.
Gruyere cheese is another magical high protein food that is a very perfect addition to a diet for a protein boost.
You can easily enjoy this meal with apples, potato and vegetable gratins, quiches and fondue.
- 100 grams of gruyere cheese has 30 grams of proteins. This is very high.
- 1 cup of shredded gruyere cheese contains approximately 32 grams of proteins.
- 1 package contains 170g of gruyere cheese and in that there are 51 grams of proteins. You can’t consume all this at once as one person.
Ricotta is a common Italian cheese product that is made from sheep, cow or goat milk whey left over from the production of other cheeses.
You can easily enjoy ricotta with toast, corn, pesto, tomatoes or fried egg.
You can also use it in making pancakes, stuffed pasta or just bake cheesecake with it.
- 100 grams of ricotta contains 11 grams of proteins while 1 cup of it has 28 grams of proteins. This makes it a perfect addition to the list of high protein foods.
EXPERT QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ON HIGH PROTEIN FOODS
What happens if you eat excess high protein foods in a day?
Consuming excess proteins probably means you consume too high proteins than your daily requirement according to your body weight.
Eating excess proteins can cause intestinal discomfort, indigestion, dehydration, and headaches.
How do I know if am eating too much protein?
Eating too much protein, especially over 2 grams per kilogram of body weight can cause effects as we explained in the first question.
The basic signals that you are consuming too high proteins are;
- Joint pain
- Bad breath
- Bloating and gas
Can a lack of protein make you tired?
Proteins are very essential in the body and therefore lack of them will probably cause side effects.
Some of the effects of the lack of proteins in the body are;
- Swelling of legs (also known as edema)
- Thinning hair
- Dry and flaky skin
- Deep ridges in your fingernails
- Weakness and fatigue (tiredness)
- Frequent hunger
- Injuries take long to heal
- Frequent sickness
Can too much high protein foods intake make you gain weight?
Any excess protein consumed is usually stored in the body in the form of fat. If the consumption of excess proteins continues over time it will probably cause weight gain and other problems.
Proteins should just be consumed according to the recommended requirements.