Sirtfood diet is a diet plan that is focused on the consumption of healthy Sirtfoods for the production of extra sirtuins in the body. Sirtuins are body proteins that regulate several functions in the body, such as metabolism, aging, and mood.
Sirt foods contain polyphenols, these are chemicals that put mild stress on body cells and activates the genes that mimic the effects of fasting and exercise
Sirtuin rich foods include;
- Curly kale
- Red wine
- Medjool dates
- Olive oil
- Red onion
- Green tea
- Citrus fruits
- Bird’s eye chili
- Red chicory
BENEFITS OF SIRTFOODS
The benefits of Sirtfoods are many. These particular benefits are the ones contributing to making the Sirtfoods diet a perfect technique for nutrition, health benefits, and weight loss.
The benefits of each sirtuin rich food are discussed below in detail.
Lovage is a common herb in Europe and southwest Asia. This herb from the Parsley family contains quercetin which is one of the sirtuin-activating compounds. It has several health benefits.
Lovage helps in;
- Fighting kidney stones – People who consume lovage have an increased urge to urinate. This frequent urination helps in cleaning and flushing out any possible remains in the urinary tract that could facilitate a kidney stones infection.
- Lovage helps in soothing the digestive system and reduces incidences of bloating and gas.
- It helps in relieving menstrual pain if added to the diet prior to the start of the periods. Though, not yet scientifically confirmed.
- It helps in reducing allergy symptoms – Quercetin inhibits histamine production and reduces skin irritation.
- It helps in promoting healthy skin by fighting dermatitis and acne. Though, not yet confirmed scientifically
- Improves breathing by loosening phlegm in the lungs.
Buckwheat is one of the highly recommended foods in the Sirtfoods diet.
These triangular-shaped fruits have a lot of benefits if consumed.
The benefits of buckwheat are;
- It is low in calories thus it can actually be added to any diet geared towards weight loss and reducing fat accumulation in the body
- It is high in insoluble fiber and thus it can help women avoid gall stones infection
- Its protein contains all the 9 amino acids that the body cannot manufacture
- It is rich in vitamins B and E and minerals like calcium, zinc, iron, manganese, and copper
- It helps improve blood circulation
- It plays a role in decreasing high blood pressure
- It can help to reduce bad cholesterol levels in the body
- It contains lysine which is an amino acid that plays a role in tissue growth and repair.
Kale is highly nutritious and contains several beneficial compounds.
The benefits of kale include;
- It contains several antioxidants – Kale contains quercetin and kaempferol which play a greater role in lowering blood pressure, reducing cancer effects and act as antidepressants.
- Kale is rich in vitamin C – This vitamin plays a greater role in synthesizing collagen.
- It plays a role in lowering bad cholesterol level in the body
- It contains vitamin K which has a role in blood clotting.
- It contains components that play a role in eye health
- It can help in weight loss due to its low calories content
Parsley is one of the highly nutritious herbs for spicing up your meals. Many people have not yet known the benefits of this herb.
The benefits of parsley are;
- It improves digestion
- It helps in weight loss due to its low calories content and high nutrient content
- It contains carotenoid which plays a role in reducing chronic inflammation and high blood pressure.
- It is rich in vitamin K, vitamin D, manganese, and calcium which play a role in improving overall bone health.
- It plays a role in reducing high blood pressure.
Turmeric is a very good addition to your plate as it plays a greater role in several bodily functions and the brain.
The proven benefits of turmeric are;
- It contains curcumin which is an anti-inflammatory compound
- Curcumin, which is contained in turmeric, has powerful antioxidant effects
- It plays a role in brain health by reducing the possibility of brain-related diseases
- It helps in lowering heart disorders
- It can help in the prevention of cancer
- Reduces depression
- Has the potential of acting as an anti-aging agent.
Walnuts are rich in various nutrients. A recent study has revealed that adding walnuts to your diet will help in shedding extra weight.
The other proven benefits of walnuts are;
- They are rich in proteins, which play a role in the growth and repair of body tissues.
- They contain folacin, which is used in blood formation and is also highly needed in pregnancy.
- They contain thiamine, copper, and magnesium which help in brain and neurological functions.
- They contain antioxidants which protect cells from damage by free radicals
- They are rich in fiber
Capers are rich in rutin and quercetin which are all sirtuin-activating compounds.
The benefits of capers are;
- They are very low in calories, thus appropriate for a weight loss diet.
- They contain niacin which helps in lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol levels
- Rutin and quercetin act as antioxidants
- Rutin strengthens capillaries and prevents platelets from clumping in the blood vessels
Red wine contains Piceatannol and Resveratrol.
Health benefits of red wine are;
- Drinking wine in moderation reduces the risk of several types of cancer
- It improves brain function and reduces the risks of dementia
- Drinking red wine in moderation reduces the risk of cardiovascular infections
Coffee has a bigger role in your general health and body weight.
The health benefits of coffee are;
- It helps reduce the risks of cancer and diabetes
- It can also help in reducing depression
- Coffee also plays a role in preventing heart diseases
- It possesses powerful anti-inflammatory functions
- It is perfect for weight loss
Medjool dates are common in the Middle East.
The health benefits of Medjool dates are;
- They contain high fiber contain thus very essential for those with constipation problems
- Rich in vitamin B-6 which helps in protein metabolism
- It contains niacin which helps in digestion, DNA production, and nerve function.
Soybean is a very essential food due to its high nutrient content
The health benefits of soybean are;
- Is a good source of omega-3 acids
- It is cholesterol-free
- It contains no lactose
- It contains antioxidants
- It is low in saturated fats
- It is high in proteins
- It has a high fiber content
- It can reduce the risks of prostate cancer
- It can alleviate the symptoms of menopause
- It reduces the risks of osteoporosis
- It improves the elasticity of blood vessels.
Strawberries contain fisetin, which is a known sirtuin activator.
The health benefits of strawberries are;
- They are rich in vitamin C, which helps in fighting diseases
- They contain compounds that have an anti-inflammatory potential
- They contain copper, which plays a role in the manufacture of red blood cells
- They can help in preventing cancer
- They contain potential anti-aging compounds
- They are low in calories, thus they can be good for weight loss
Olive oil contains Oleuropein and Hydroxytyrosol which are major sirtuin-activating agents
Health benefits of olive oil include;
- It can deliver longer-lasting weight loss
- It can help in the prevention of diabetes
- It contains substances that have anti-inflammatory properties
- Possesses anti-aging properties
- It helps in strengthening the immune system
Red onion has also made it to the Sirtfoods
Onions are among the most famous vegetables on earth.
The health benefits of red onion are;
- It plays a role in preventing cardiovascular infections
- It helps in lowering triglycerides
- Has anti-inflammatory features
- It helps in fighting diseases
- It can help improve lung function in people with asthma
- It reduces the risk of cancer
Blueberries contain anthocyanins which have several health benefits and gives them their blue color
The benefits include;
- They contain certain minerals and vitamins which help in building and maintaining bone structure and strength.
- They contain vitamin C which helps in preventing skin damage and infections
- They play a role in lowering high blood pressure
- Help in protecting against heart diseases
- They can play a role in protecting against cancer
- It improves a person’s short term memory
- Contributes immensely to weight loss
Green tea contains Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) which is a sirtuin-activating nutrient.
The health benefits of taking green tea are;
- It helps in reducing mental fatigue
- The biggest contributor to weight loss
- Prevents cancer development and spread in the body
- Contains anti-aging properties
- Helps in reducing LDL cholesterol levels in the body
- It improves memory
Apples are the best fruits for any diet as they have many health benefits and they are rich in quercetin, catechin, phloridzin, and chlorogenic acid.
The health benefits of consuming apples are;
- It helps in reducing the risks of Alzheimer’s disease
- It reduces LDL cholesterol levels in the body
- It reduces the risks of stroke
- Reduces the risks of getting diabetes
- It may help prevent cancer
- It may help reduce the risks of obesity
Citrus fruit is a must-have for better health. Its benefits include;
- They contain compounds that act as anti-inflammatory agents
- They are rich in soluble fiber
- They can help reduce LDL cholesterol levels
- They are low in calories, thus perfect for weight loss
- They can help in reducing the risk of kidney stones
- They can help in protecting against cancer
- They play a role in reducing risks of cardiovascular infections
- They can help in reducing risks of brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease
Arugula is another amazing sirtuin rich food
Arugula is also known as; salad rocket, garden rocket, rucola, roquette, rugula, and colewort
It is a perfect flavor for meals.
The health benefits of Arugula are;
- Has the capability of fighting cancer
- Plays a role in preventing liver damage
- It’s a perfect hydrating vegetable as it is made up of over 90% water
- It is rich in vitamin K, which plays a role in influencing the balance of calcium in the body. Calcium is a key mineral in bone metabolism.
- It contains compounds that play a role in facilitating anti-inflammation
- Plays a role in weight loss
Bird’s eye chili
Bird’s eye chili is among Sirtfoods rich in Luteolin and Myricetin which are sirtuin-activating nutrients.
The benefits of bird’s eye chili are;
- It plays a role in boosting appetite
- It improves digestion
- It can help reduce the risks of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) by promoting a faster and efficient movement of food in the intestines.
The red chicory contains Luteolin, which is a sirtuin-activating nutrient.
The benefits of red chicory are;
- It can help in easing digestive problems
- It helps in preventing heartburn
- It plays a role in reducing the risks of arthritis
- It’s the best detoxifier of the liver and gall bladder
- It helps in reducing the risks of heart diseases
- Plays a bigger role in boosting the immune system.
Celery is also a sirtuin-rich food
Celery contains Apigenin and Luteolin which are perfect sirtuin-activating nutrients.
It is recommended you use the green celery for your spices and not the yellow celery that has been blanched. Blanched celery has less sirtuin-activating nutrients.
The benefits of celery are;
- It helps in lowering LDL cholesterol levels in the body
- Is one of the biggest contributors to weight loss
- Helps in reducing arthritis pain
- It can help in reducing blood pressure
- It contains compounds that play a role in detoxifying the body
Sirtuin-rich foods and pregnancy
Indulging fully into Sirtfoods diet when pregnant or breastfeeding is not recommended. Sirtuin-rich foods are mostly geared towards weight loss. You can only add them to your diet when pregnant in order to get other nutrients with certain conditions.
Rules for adding sirtuin-rich foods to the diet when pregnant or breastfeeding are;
- Avoid red wine since it has alcohol content in it
- Reduce consumption of caffeinated items like coffee, green tea, and cocoa in order to keep your daily caffeine consumption below 200 mg which is highly recommended in pregnancy
- Avoid matcha completely.
Those are the only rules to observe in pregnancy if you want to have a taste of Sirtfoods.
ARE SIRTFOODS BEST FOR CHILDREN?
Sirtfoods diet are not recommended for children because it is entirely geared towards weight loss only. However, children can just incorporate some of the Sirtfoods in their diet as they have many health benefits.
The following should be observed when you add sirtuin-rich foods to your child’s diet;
- Avoid giving children the green juice because it is too concentrated in fat burning Sirtfoods
- Don’t give children excess caffeine
- Try avoiding chilies
Follow those rules and incorporate sirtuin-rich foods into your child’s diet for better health and nutrient content.